Quick tips for feeding floury corn hybrids:
- Consider total starch load and adjust energy levels
-Rapid digestion increases of up to 50% more starch being digested.
-Slower passage rates 11%/hr for dry floury grain 4%/hr for high moisture
floury compared to 21% for dry vitreous grain and 10%/hr for high moisture vitreous
- Consider protein levels
- Floury corn increases microbial MP because of quicker ruminal digestion
- Protect milk components
- Too much starch load negatively effects microbe population
- Over processed floury grain could lead to acidosis if not careful to reduce total starch in ration
- Be sensitive to provide adequate effective fiber to maximize energy absorption
4. Consider feeding floury hybrids first
- Masters Choice Average 7hr starch digestion 28 days from harvest is 75% compared to CVAS average 21 days from harvest of 65%. Took 3-4 months for CVAS lab average to reach where MC hybrids start.
- Look for feed efficiencies and not just increase production
- Feeding efficiency may come in the form of DM feed/milk not only increased milk production — either form is profitable — depends on diet